City of Cambridge Project Engineer, King Open/Cambridge Street Upper School & Community Complex in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Project Engineer will aid the Owner's Project Manager (OPM) and staff to provide construction project controls for the King Open/Cambridge Street Upper School & Community Complex (KOCSUS) Project
The KOCSUS Project is presently planned as an abatement and demolition of the existing structures, followed by construction of a new facility that will include, school, library and pool. Various building systems and components included in the new construction: geothermal wells, foundation systems, structural steel superstructure, super insulated building envelope, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and Fire protection systems. Technology for building management system and security systems. KOCSUS will also include a cafeteria, auditorium(s), elevators, ADA accessibility, painting and other miscellaneous finish components.
This position requires a knowledge of the Construction Specification Institute (CSI) divisions of work and how the construction site documentation is processed. The person shall be required to monitor, document and file all drawings, specifications, shop drawings, change orders, requests for information, design clarifications and all other documents for the project. The filing of this information shall be in an organized hard copy and electronic format.
This person may be requested by the OPM staff to aid in the gathering of site information they require as part of the day to day site activities. It is the intent to provide a mentoring environment so that person will gain the experience and knowledge to perform other tasks to aid in their future development with the City.
The project Engineer may be required to assist the OPM on other projects as required. Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Work closely on a day to day basis with the OPM and perform tasks as directed
- Attend weekly construction meetings as requested
- Assist with coordinating consultant services
- Assist with the development of Requests for Proposal (RFP)
- Assist with onsite job inspection and quality control oversight as required
- Assist in the change order process
- Assist in evaluating and resolve claims and disputes
- Has knowledge of the construction document process and the ability to maintain project records
- Work hours occasionally beyond 40/week as project demands including working occasionally Saturdays as the project schedule demands
This is an entry level position, a recent technical college graduate, design professional or construction professional experience level of 1-5 years.
- the ability to organize, coordinate and control the project files is essential
- Keen organizational skills
- Knowledge of building construction project management requirements is preferred
- knowledge of public building construction in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is preferred
- OSHA - 10 card required or the ability to acquire before starting if offered the position
- experience with and successful responsibility of assignment on construction projects is preferred
- excellent oral and written communication skills; and,
- appropriate people skills, work ethic, and personal character to work in a team environment
- Full knowledge and ability to use effectively all of the Microsoft Office Suite software
- this position requires a self-motivated person who has the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work may involve travel through active construction zones, driving, walking, bending, squatting, reaching and stretching. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
*WORK ENVIRONMENT: *Work involved is both indoors is in a professional office setting and outdoors including construction sites and congested city roadways under all weather conditions.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resumes and letters of interest requested by 04/28/18. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: City Manager's Office
Job Title: Project Engineer, King Open/Cambridge Street Upper School & Community Complex
Job Code: X075
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: None
Hours Per Week: 40 hours/week; Work hours occasionally exceed 40/week as project demands; including working occasional Saturdays as the project schedule demands (3-year contract position with yearly review)
POSTING DATE: March 29, 2018
RATE: $60,000 – 70,000/year contract position