Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Food Service Worker (Open Continuous Announcement (OCA) in Boston, Massachusetts
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact on the last page of the JOA for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
*Who May Apply: *Current permanent VA Nationwide employees
Learn more about this agency
The employee will perform a variety of food service duties that will require a working knowledge of service operations including food handling, preparation, storage and delivery. The following major duties are not inclusive of all duties of the position:
- You will read and interpret instructions and performs simple calculations used in food service preparation.
- You will be responsible for the delivery of nourishments and sandwiches for distribution and transport tray delivery trucks to patient areas; collect soiled trays; clean all equipment used in the delivery and retrieval of patient trays; operate and maintain sanitation of the dish machine
- Operate and care for all equipment in the performance of duties such as, dishwashing/pot washing machines, garbage disposal, pulper, trash compactor, etc.
- Label, date, and store foods and leftovers
- Participate in Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point training and utilizes those components of the HACCP system
- Use equipment and utensils required in quantity food service
- Maintain an uncluttered, clean and sanitary work area
- Promote a safe work environment by using equipment safely and carefully
- Utilize good interpersonal skills and courtesy in all contacts to emphasize the concern and commitment of Nutrition and Food Service to customer service
- Participate in Total Quality Improvement (TQI) training
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-Time, 40 Hours/week, Rotating Shifts, Weekends and Holidays are required 6:00am-2:30pm 7:00am-3:30pm 8:00am-4:30pm 9:00am-5:30pm 11:00am-7:30pm Position Description #: Brockton 00844A - West Roxbury 845A
- This position is covered by locality-based comparability pay.
- This position is a NAGE Bargaining Unit position.
- Travel and relocation expenses are not authorized.
- Selectee may be required to work at any Boston Healthcare System campus, as needed.
- Candidates who meet the qualification requirements within 15 calendar days following the closing date of the announcement will be considered.
- Current and former Federal employees must submit copies of their most recent SF-50, (Notice of Personnel Action). The SF-50 must identify the position title, series, grade, step, tenure and type of service (competitive or Excepted). In some cases, more than one SF-50 may be required to show a higher grade previously held.
- Position is not required to file a financial disclosure report.
Occasional travel - Selectee may be required to work at any Boston Healthcare System campus, as needed.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Agency Employees Only
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
7408 Food Service Working
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:The job require moderate to heavy physical effort. The employee is subject to continuous standing and walking and frequent stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling and bending. The employee frequently lifts or moves objects weighing up to 40 pounds unassisted and occasionally lifting or moving objects weighing more than 40 pounds with the assistance of other workers.
Work is performed in a well-lighted, but hot, noisy, and humid kitchen environment, subject to common kitchen hazards, such as cuts and punctures from cutlery and sharp container edges, burs, strains, falls, and irritations from cleaning solutions. Driving, on station only, is included in working conditions.
The Department of Veteran Affairs must provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities where appropriate.
KSAO'S OR JOB ELEMENTS (T-5)
- Ability to do the work of a food service worker with more than normal supervision (SCREEN-OUT).
- Work practices (Ability to keep things neat, clean, and in order).
- Knowledge of technical practices.
- Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment.
- Ability to follow oral directions and interpret instructions.
- Ability to operate with dexterity and safety in food service work.
*EXPERIENCE: *A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume.
SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT: Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element, which usually appears as question 1 in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least the minimal acceptable qualification requirement are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated. The potential eligible candidates are then rated against the remainder questions.
The*Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)* provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 90 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: Experience must be fully documented on your resume and must include job title; duties; month and year start/end dates AND hours worked per week. A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
Other Veterans Document
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
*NOTE: * If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
- To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 2003422.
- Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, December 29, 2017 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax: 1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire. 2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdffill/OPM1203fx.pdf. 3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.va.gov/JOBS/JobBenefits/benefits.asp
Annual (Vacation) Leave : Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online.
To apply for this position, you must complete the View Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package. It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, December 29, 2017 to receive consideration.
The following documents are required for a complete Application Package. Incomplete applications will be found ineligible.
2. Responses to the Online Questionnaire.
3. Current or former Federal employees must submit copies of their most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action.The SF-50 must identify the position, title, series, grade, step, tenure, and type of service (Competitive or Excepted). In some cases, more than one SF-50 may be required to show a higher grade previously held.
4. Other documents - use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as documentation to support Veterans Preference claims or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
Nutrition and Food Service 940 Belmont Street Brockton, MA
Learn more about this agency
Applicants will be referred on the last day of each month during which vacancies exist. Applications received after the first cut-off date, will be considered for the second cut-off, and so on throughout the life of the announcement and within your specific period of eligibility.
All applicants may receive consideration for 3 months from the date of application OR until the closing date of the vacancy announcement, whichever is sooner.
During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) office at OPM
- Office of Equal Opportunity
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/477757000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 09/01/2017 to 12/29/2017
Salary: $14.45 to $16.87 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 02
Work schedule: Multiple Schedules
Appointment type: Agency Employees Only